Working with UNDP / Jobs / Putting ideas to work: Human Resources in UNDP
The recruitment process at UNDP is a continuous process to ensure that UNDP has the right people in the right jobs at the right time. In 2007, UNDP hired 77 project staff following a competitive process based on UNDP recruitment principles.
• Recruitment Principles
Five principles guide all recruitment and selection in UNDP:
Click here for the UN code of Conduct
• Recruitment Process
- Competition: a visible competitive process which aims to attract high quality candidates for all vacancies;
- Fairness: all candidates, irrespective of gender, race and background, are assessed in the same manner;
- Objectivity: all recruitment and selections are conducted with professional rigor, with candidates measured against clearly articulated criteria and job competencies;
- Transparency: the selection criteria and process are transparent to all applicants;
- Accountability: hiring managers and hiring units will have greater direct input into recruitment and selection decisions, matched by greater accountability for those decisions and the processes leading up to them.
On Line Application
Vacancies are posted on the UNDP website for a minimum of two weeks. Our online application is available at our website, and starts with the "Jobs" link under "Working with UNDP" section. We invite you to take a look at our jobs list by clicking here
. If you find a job that matches your skills and interests, simply click on "Apply Now". Since we are using an e-recruitment system, ONLY online applications are accepted.
Screening and Interviewing
Please be aware of the following:
- Selection criteria and competencies needed are stated in the vacancy announcement pertinent to a specific position. After the closing date, the long-list of candidates is prepared based on these competencies. For certain technical positions, technical test results may used as a further assessment tool. The "long list" is reviewed and the ensuring shortlist is finally prepared based on technical testing, corporate priorities, organizational needs, and holistic assessment of candidate profiles.
- Shortlisted candidates are then invited for interviews with the interviewing panel which is usually composed of four panelists.
- A thorough reference and background checks is conducted on the recommended candidate
- The interview panel recommends the selected candidate to an internal committee. The latter reviews the recruitment process and ensures its transparency and competitiveness.
- The selected candidate must provide a medical clearance before starting his or her duties
- Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates are contacted.
Employment of Close Relatives
- A husband/wife of a UN Staff Member may be engaged under an employment contract with UNDP, provided there is no direct supervising relationship.
- Contracting close relatives of UN staff members or an individual engaged with UNDP under a Contract (father, mother, brother, son, daughter, brother or sister) is prohibited. (Rare exceptions are granted when another person equally qualified cannot be engaged, which requires the approval of the Office of Human Resources in New York)